6.05.2008

What is Important to DP and I?

So a quick game of catch up - and I am sure it comes at the risk of sounding like some bogus bridal magazine list - "75 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Plan the Wedding of Your Dreams!!" But I have been asking myself some questions, and I started with this one: 

What is really important to DP and I? 

Almost more important than the answer to this question are the reasons I ask it. We all know the bride who just loses it while she plans for her wedding (sub "it" for her mind, integrity, convictions, original vision, reason for having a wedding, or anything else that is true in this familiar tale). One avoidable reason that this happens I think, is because she/he never took the time to really ponder this question and then keep the answers near. I mean, you got to keep the important things before you - I think it is the reason that people wear crosses, keep pictures of their wife in the office, or sing the national anthem at ballgames - but this is just a theory. Anyways, I have already given this question a good bit of thought, so drum roll please.....
  1. Entering into a covenant with the person God created for us. Obvious right? But like I said, some women (and men - lets not discriminate) can forget why they are having a wedding in the first place. Well this is it: I don't care if you wrap me in burlap and roll me down the aisle, if DP is the man waiting for me when I get there, I will be sublimely happy, without a care in the world. 
  2. Having fun, but at no person's expense. You know what this means - and this can be hard. It means Go With The Flow! I know there are things that "every little girl/boy dreams about" but if it means hurting other people (child labor - ouch, your best friends life savings) or being a poor steward of what God has entrusted with us (the earth, my dad's bling) then I reckon it's best just to move on. 
  3. and last but not least...throwing a party big enough to make sure everyone is well fed, well "watered," feels loved, and walks away telling stories about how great the band was. We want people heading to their car saying, "I can't believe how late I stayed, but the band was so good and I was having so much fun dancing," then someone else might say, "And did you taste how great those shrimp were?" 

**and I wouldn't mind if they were also talking about how beautiful things were like the decor, the bridesmaids ... or even the bride - wink. 

1 comment:

Jen B said...

ove it kate and I LOVE YOU!!!! very good thoughts...you're definitely on the right track and i know you'll keep the real important things priority ;)